By Harry M. Benshoff
- Contributors contain a few of the most interesting teachers operating within the box, in addition to interesting more youthful scholars
- Varied and accomplished assurance, from the historical past of horror to broader problems with censorship, gender, and sexuality
- Covers either English-language and non-English horror movie traditions
- Key issues comprise horror movie aesthetics, theoretical methods, distribution, artwork residence cinema, ethnographic surrealism, and horror's relation to documentary movie practice
- A thorough remedy of this dynamic movie style fitted to students and lovers alike
Read Online or Download A Companion to the Horror Film PDF
Similar film & video art books
This booklet attracts conclusions in regards to the American brain via research of what may be referred to as "cinema of excess:" cinema approximately americans that incorporates culturally transgressive fabric reminiscent of violence, photograph sexuality, apocalyptic issues, and paranoia. The paintings starts with an creation to a long way left and much correct colleges of movie feedback, together with Marxism, cultural conservatism, and non secular conservatism.
Song in movie is usually brushed aside as having little cultural importance. whereas Hammer movie Productions is known for such vintage movies as Dracula and The Curse of Frankenstein, few observers have famous the cutting edge tune that Hammer distinctively integrated into its horror motion pictures. This ebook tells how Hammer commissioned composers on the innovative of eu musical modernism to jot down their motion picture ratings, introducing the avant-garde into pop culture through the vastly profitable venue of horror movie.
Adjusting the Lens bargains a close research of up to date, autonomous, indigenous-language audiovisual creation in Mexico and in Mexican migrant groups within the usa. The individuals relate the types and sorts of collaborative and neighborhood media construction to socially serious, transformative, resistant, and constitutive tactics off-screen, thereby exploring the political in the context of the media.
Outbreak narratives have proliferated for the previous area century, and now they've got reached epidemic proportions. From 28 Days Later to 24 to The jogging lifeless, videos, television exhibits, and books are packed with zombie viruses, bioengineered plagues, and disease-ravaged bands of survivors. Even information stories delight in exciting eventualities approximately power worldwide pandemics like SARS and Ebola.
Extra info for A Companion to the Horror Film
A Companion to the Horror Film by Harry M. Benshoff